– Advertisement –
Creating a PowerPoint presentation can be both exciting and slightly tricky, especially when it comes to managing text. You’ve probably noticed that when you start a new presentation, PowerPoint generously provides you with two text boxes—one for your title and another for your subtitle. Usually, this works just fine, but there are moments when your title gets a bit too lengthy, and suddenly it’s too big to fit within its designated box.
– Advertisement –
PowerPoint’s AutoFit feature steps in and takes care of the resizing business for you. Its mission: to ensure that your title always snugly fits within its text box, no matter how long it is. Pretty handy, right? However, as with most things, there are times when you might want to take control and switch off this automatic resizing.
READ ALSO: How to Use PowerPoint Designer
Steps to Turn on and off AutoFit in Specific PowerPoint Slides
Should you wish to disable AutoFit for the text box or placeholder currently under your scrutiny, AutoFit options are conveniently accessible within the slide itself.
Here’s the procedure to deactivate AutoFit through the AutoFit options menu:
1. Select the text box or placeholder containing your text.
2. On the lower left corner of the text box, click the AutoFit Options button.
3. From the Auto fit options, click “Stop Fitting Text to This Placeholder.”
Text dimensions will revert to their original specifications. This might lead to some text exceeding the placeholder’s confines. Should this occur, consider reducing the text volume or redistributing it across slides.
To re-enable AutoFit, revisit the AutoFit Options button and choose “AutoFit Text to Placeholder.”
How to Use Format Shape Options for AutoFit Deactivation
The Format Shape options offer an alternative route to disabling AutoFit.
To halt AutoFit through Format Shape settings:
1. Right-click the text placeholder. From the context menu, select “Format Shape.”
2. In the Format Shape pane, navigate to Text Options and click the Text Box icon.
3. Choose “Do Not AutoFit.”
To revert AutoFit, repeat steps 1-3 and select “Shrink Text on Overflow.”
How to Disable AutoFit in an Entire Presentation
To deactivate AutoFit completely within your PowerPoint:
1. Select any of the placeholders and click the AutoFit Options button.
2. From the Auto fit options, click “Control AutoCorrect Options.”
3. Within AutoCorrect Options, uncheck “AutoFit Title Text to Placeholder” and “AutoFit Body Text to Placeholder.” Confirm by clicking “OK.”
This action enforces the default absence of AutoFit throughout your presentation.
To reinstate AutoFit, repeat steps 1-3 and reactivate the checkboxes.
Deactivating AutoFit within PowerPoint ensures precise control over text size, preventing any involuntary alterations imposed by the app. This approach prevents text overload and guarantees readability.